Monday 7 October 2013

I'm an atheist but...

I'm an atheist because that's the term for someone who does not believe in gods.  It's important to let others know you are atheist because so many aren't able to do that, and because so many suffer prejudice and oppression because of their lack of belief.

But... I'm not an 'atheist+'.  It's absurd to try and associate positive beliefs about politics with the absence of belief that is atheism.  Even misogynists or racists can be atheism, and their ignorance and hatred doesn't  make them any less atheist.  Atheism doesn't have any innate political views unlike humanism.

But.. I'm not part of any atheist community.  If someone says 'we atheists', they aren't talking for me.  There can be atheist communities, people bonded together because of the consequences of their lack of belief in societies and cultures where belief is widespread and expected.  But I'm not part of any such community.  Anyone who talks of 'the atheist community' doesn't have a clue what they are talking about, as the experiences and different situations of millions can be summed up with 'community'.

I'm an atheist because I don't believe in gods.  If you want to know what I think on any issue you are going to actually have to ask me.

No comments: